WBA Sanctions Luis Ortiz vs. Alexander Ustinov

by
WBA Sanctions Luis Ortiz vs. Alexander Ustinov
“Ortiz must face Ustinov on or before June 19, 2016," says Mendoza. "If a purse bid is necessary, the split will be 50/50.”

WBA Sanctions Luis Ortiz vs. Alexander Ustinov

by
WBA Sanctions Luis Ortiz vs. Alexander Ustinov
“Ortiz must face Ustinov on or before June 19, 2016," says Mendoza. "If a purse bid is necessary, the split will be 50/50.”

“Ortiz must face Ustinov on or before June 19, 2016," says Mendoza. "If a purse bid is necessary, the split will be 50/50.”
“Ortiz must face Ustinov on or before June 19, 2016,” says Mendoza. “If a purse bid is necessary, the split will be 50/50.”

On or about August 26, 2015, the WBA received a request from Golden Boy Promotions to sanction a fight between #7 ranked Luis Ortiz (24-0, 21 KOs), from Miami by way of Camaguey, Cuba, and #15 ranked Matias Vidondo (20-2-1, 18 KOs) for the vacant Interim WBA World heavyweight title on October 17, 2015.

In light of Vidondo’s ranking, the WBA Championships Committee issued a notice of the proposed bout to the representatives of ranked heavyweight boxers to determine of there were any objections to the proposed bout.

The WBA received objections from the representatives of three ranked heavyweight fighters. They were Philippe Fondu from Hatton Promotions on behalf of #3 ranked Lucas Browne, Gary Shaw of Gary Shaw Promotions on behalf of #6 ranked Bryant Jennings, and Queensberry Promotions on behalf of #7 ranked Alexander Ustinov.

The WBA Championships Committee granted Ortiz’s request to fight Vidondo for the interim title conditioned on the winner facing Jennings, with the winner of the Jennings bout to face Ustinov within six months.

Ortiz fought and defeated Vidondo on October 17, 2015, at New York’s Madison Square Garden and was KO’d in three rounds. Two months later, on December 19, 2015, at Turning Stone Casino & Resort in Verona, New York, Ortiz defeated Jennings by TKO in round seven.

“Subject to compliance with all other applicable WBA rules and the conditions previously referenced,” says Gilberto Jesus Mendoza, WBA Championships Chairman, “Ortiz must face Ustinov on or before June 19, 2016. If a purse bid is necessary, the purse bid split will be 50/50.”

This article was penned by the author who is not related to the WBA and the statements, expressions or opinions referenced herein are that of the author alone and not the WBA.


Clarification of the Super Bantamweight Division



Claressa Shields Stops Kaye Scott in Six Rounds to Become New WBA Champion

Claressa Shields Stops Kaye Scott in Six Rounds to Become New WBA Champion

Claressa Shields once again reaffirmed her status as one of...

Alma Meraz Rodríguez Defeats Elizabeth López Corzo to Retain Her WBA Interim Crown

Alma Meraz Rodríguez Defeats Elizabeth López Corzo to Retain Her WBA Interim Crown

The boxing faithful in Mexicali witnessed a defining night along...

WBA Mourns the Passing of Hayden Panettiere and Extends Condolences to Wladimir Klitschko

WBA Mourns the Passing of Hayden Panettiere and Extends Condolences to Wladimir Klitschko

The World Boxing Association, its President Gilberto Jesús Mendoza and...