The World Boxing Association (WBA) in its support for peace and the cessation of Russia’s invasion in Ukraine held this Monday a directorate meeting in which they unanimously approved the following actions:
1. The WBA will exclude Russian and Belarusian boxers from the next ranking lists. The measure is temporary and will be reviewed month by month. Current world or regional champions will maintain their status, and this will also be subject to review by the respective Committee.
2. We reaffirm the non-sanctioning of world and/or regional bouts in Russia.
3. Russian and Belarusian officials will also be banned from participating in world and/or regional championship fights, according to a resolution from the WBA Executive Committee.
4. Russian fighters will not be allowed to enter the ring with their flag, their anthem will not be played and the country will not be named.
5. Promoters or teams of Russian boxers who violate this provision may be sanctioned.
6. WBA reserves the right to exclude from its rankings boxers who are in favor of the war.
7. All measures shall be applied to Belarus.
8. All managers, promoters, trainers affiliated to the World Boxing Association will, to the best of their ability, seek mediation mechanisms for peace.
9. WBA will launch a campaign for peace.
The WBA through its president Gilberto Jesus Mendoza and its directorate is committed to carry out all necessary actions to achieve peace.
The measures we are announcing today are provisional and of immediate effect. They may be amplified or suspended as the situation progresses.