Klitschko vs. Fury on October 24

by
Klitschko vs. Fury on October 24
Klitschko has ruled the heavyweight roost for a decade. He has 18 successful title defenses to his credit. But he appears to be slowing down.

Klitschko vs. Fury on October 24

by
Klitschko vs. Fury on October 24
Klitschko has ruled the heavyweight roost for a decade. He has 18 successful title defenses to his credit. But he appears to be slowing down.

klitschko vs fury 2 copy

This morning at the WBA offices in Panama, WBA/IBF/WBO/IBO heavyweight champion Wladimir Klitschko (64-3, 53 KOs), from Kiev, Ukraine, by way of Zhangiztobe, Kazakhstan, and undefeated Tyson Fury (24-0, 18 KOs), from Manchester, Lancashire, United Kingdom, have reached terms to fight at the ESPRIT Arena in Düsseldorf, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany, on October 24.

Negotiations were down-to-the wire, but a satisfactory conclusion was reached just minutes before the deadline prior to the purse bid.

Tom Loeffler of K2 Promotions, which represents Klitschko, and Mick Hennessy, who represents Fury, agreed that the reigning and defending champion will earn 80% of the purse, while the remaining 20% goes to the challenger.

It wasn’t exactly smooth sailing. Eddie Hearn, Frank Warren, and Vlad Hrunov were in Panama, hoping to win exclusive promotional rights for themselves. But all sides are presumably happy with the end result.

The superlatives are already flying fast and furious.

Klitschko has ruled the heavyweight roost for a decade. He has 18 successful title defenses to his credit. But he appears to be slowing down.

Fury is three inches bigger than the 6-foot-6-inch Dr. Steelhammer. He is also 13 years younger. Whether that size and age difference can force a changing of the guard, we’ll have to wait and see.

But the fight is a go. Everyone is looking forward to the showdown. Even Tyson Fury appears pleased.

“VivaDeutschland,” he tweeted, “I’m coming to rock your country in October be there [or] miss the best fight in heavyweight history #letsgetthispartystarted”

This article was penned by the author who is not related to the WBA and the statements, expressions or opinions referenced herein are that of the author alone and not the WBA.


Keith Thurman Meets the Press

Keith Thurman Meets the Press



Riyadh Season: Raymond Ford set to defend his WBA title

Riyadh Season: Raymond Ford set to defend his WBA title

Raymond Ford is scheduled to defend his World Boxing Association...

Jekumbayev retains WBA North America belt over Redkach 

Jekumbayev retains WBA North America belt over Redkach 

Batirzhan Jekumbayev defended his World Boxing Association (WBA) Continental North...

HEAVYWEIGHT TOP TEN

HEAVYWEIGHT TOP TEN

The opinion we are about to express here may seem...