Battles for WBA Regional Titles this Saturday

by
Battles for WBA Regional Titles this Saturday
Caril Herrera says he plans "to leave everything in the ring, as the people who know me expect."

Battles for WBA Regional Titles this Saturday

by
Battles for WBA Regional Titles this Saturday
Caril Herrera says he plans "to leave everything in the ring, as the people who know me expect."

Caril Herrera says he plans "to leave everything in the ring, as the people who know me expect."
Caril Herrera and Guillermo Osvaldo Soloppi will go a slated 10 rounds for the WBA Fedebol bantamweight strap.

This Saturday, June 4, at the Radisson Victoria Plaza in Montevideo, Uruguay, Daud Yordan and Cristian Rafael Coria will face off over a scheduled 10 rounds for the WBA International lightweight title, while Caril Herrera and Guillermo Osvaldo Soloppi will go a slated 10 rounds for the WBA Fedebol bantamweight strap.

Yordan, who’ll turn 29 on the 10th, is an 11-year pro fighting out of Sukadana, Indonesia (35-3, 24 KOs, 1 No Contest), who’s won several regional and minor titles. Twelfth-ranked by the WBA, iron-chinned “Cino” has only lost once by stoppage, Simpiwe Vetyeka taking him out via 12th-round TKO in April 2013. Yordan has fought, and won, five times since, most recently this February, beating Yoshitaka Kato by ninth-round technical decision.

His Argentine opponent, 33, is a 10-year ring vet (24-4-2, 9 KOs) who’s never been stopped. “El Zorro” last fought this past November, beating Sergio Alejandro Blanco by unanimous decision.

A 35-year-old native of Montevideo, Herrera turned pro in 2003 (36-2, 22 KOs, 1 No Contest), though out of the ring in 2010, ’13, and ’14. He’s won both regional and minor titles, including the vacant WBA Fedelatin and vacant WBC Latino super flyweight titles in February 2006 by knocking out Sergio Victor Caruso in the sixth. Although only defeated twice, the southpaw lost both by stoppage, most recently to Oscar Gonzalez, who won by seventh-round TKO in October 2011. “El Raton” has won his last five, beating Diego Herminio Alejandro Sananco by split decision in his latest fight, this February.

A 30-year-old Argentine, Soloppi is a nine-year vet (20-9-1, 3 KOs, 1 No Contest), though out of the ring in 2011, who’s lost four of his last six. “El Hacherito del Sur” drew against Fabian Oscar Orozco last December, but did beat Roberto Carlos Mario Marin by unanimous decision in his most recent fight, last month.

“I do not come to play,” says Herrera, but “to leave everything in the ring, as the people who know me expect.”

This article was penned by the author who is not related to the WBA and the statements, expressions or opinions referenced herein are that of the author alone and not the WBA.


WBA joins the mourn for the sensible pass away of a Boxing Glory: Muhammad Ali



Claressa Shields Stops Kaye Scott in Six Rounds to Become New WBA Champion

Claressa Shields Stops Kaye Scott in Six Rounds to Become New WBA Champion

Claressa Shields once again reaffirmed her status as one of...

Alma Meraz Rodríguez Defeats Elizabeth López Corzo to Retain Her WBA Interim Crown

Alma Meraz Rodríguez Defeats Elizabeth López Corzo to Retain Her WBA Interim Crown

The boxing faithful in Mexicali witnessed a defining night along...

WBA Mourns the Passing of Hayden Panettiere and Extends Condolences to Wladimir Klitschko

WBA Mourns the Passing of Hayden Panettiere and Extends Condolences to Wladimir Klitschko

The World Boxing Association, its President Gilberto Jesús Mendoza and...