Hekkie Budler will defend his WBA World minimumweight title over a scheduled 12 rounds against Simphiwe Khonco at Emperors Palace, Kempton Park, Gauteng, South Africa, this Saturday, September 19.
Fighting out of Johannesburg, Gauteng, South Africa, 27-year-old Budler is an eight-year pro (28-1, 9 KOs) who won the vacant title by knocking out Karluis Diaz in the first in March 2014. “The Hexecutioner” last defended his title in February, decisioning Jesus Silvestre. His only loss came in January 2011, losing by split decision to Gideon Buthelezi.
A resident of Mthatha, Eastern Cape, South Africa, Khonco has been fighting since 2007 (15-4, 7 KOs), winning the vacant WBA Pan African minimumweight title in April 2013 by outpointing Khanyakude Mukansi. “Chain Reaction” most recently fought in December 2014, knocking out Nhlanhla Ngamntwini in the fourth. Ranked #4 by the WBA, Khonco hasn’t lost since April 2010, when he was stopped by Luzuko Siyo via fourth-round TKO.
The judges for the championship fight between Hekke Budler and Simphiwe Khonco are Jean L. Legland (France), Lezsak Jankoviak (Poland), and Juan Garcia Reyes (Spain). Stanley Christodoulou (South Africa) will be the third man in the ring.
On the same date, but at a different venue (at Centro de Usos Multiples, Hermosillo, Sonora, Mexico), David Sanchez will defend his interim WBA World super flyweight title over a scheduled 12 rounds against Luis Concepcion.
A resident of Hermosillo, 23-year-old Sanchez is a seven-year ring vet (28-2-2, 22 KOs) who won the title in May 2014 by decisioning Breilor Teran. “Tornado” most recently fought in May, knocking out Walberto Ramos in the second. Never stopped, Sanchez last tasted defeat in November 2010, losing by split decision to Mario Macias. The hard-hitting Mexican is ranked #1 by the WBA.
Fighting out of Panama City, Panama, 29-year-old Concepcion is a nine-year pro (32-4, 23 KOs) who won the interim WBA World flyweight championship in September 2009 by stopping Omar Salado via 12th-round TKO. “El Nica” most recently fought in April, losing to Carlos Cuadras by unanimous decision, his first loss since October 2011, when he was stopped via first-round TKO by Hernan Marquez. The Mexican “Tyson” is the only man to stop the Panamanian, first doing so in April 2011 by 11th-round TKO. Concepcion had been awarded the vacant WBA World flyweight title in January 2011, losing it to Marquez that April. He failed to regain his lost crown in their rematch that October. Sixth-ranked by the WBA, Concepcion last won in August 2014, stopping Duvan Hernandez via seventh-round TKO.
“I like the style of Concepcion,” said Sanchez. “He comes forward and fights. We are ready to stop him with all my power and intelligence. I’ll leave nothing to defend my title in front of my people.”
Not to be outdone, Concepcion said, “Tornado has the style for me to knock out. I am prepared to win. I’m coming with everything from the first round and sparks will fly in the ring. God gave me the opportunity to again win a title and I will not fail. He can’t run and must show courage in front of his fans. This is a fight for real men to stand and show who is better. It will be a war while it lasts!”
This article was penned by the author who is not related to the WBA and the statements, expressions or opinions referenced herein are that of the author alone and not the WBA.